Estate Planning Attorney for Santa Cruz & Los Gatos areas
When most people think of estate planning, they think of passing on their property after death by doing a will or trust. Although having a clear plan for passing on your property and belongings after death is important, estate planning can also help you:
- Avoid the delay and expense associated with having your estate go through probate, if you establish a revocable living trust;
- Minimize taxes to be paid after your death;
- Designate the person whom you would want the court to appoint as guardian for your minor children if both you and your spouse were to pass away;
- Provide for the care of your pets;
- Establish a special needs trust for a loved one who is receiving needs-based public benefits, such as Medi-Cal or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), so that your loved one can receive your gift without losing his or her benefits.
- Designate the person whom you want to make medical decisions for you if you were too ill to do so yourself;
- Indicate the type of medical care you would like to receive (or not receive) at the end of your life;
- Appoint someone whom you trust to handle your bills and finances if you were to become unable to do so yourself;
- Avoid having your family try to guess what you want after your death, because you will have clearly expressed your wishes in your estate plan.
- Achieve peace of mind, because you have made a plan for the future that takes care of yourself and your loved ones.
We serve Santa Cruz County, Los Gatos and surrounding areas.